Watching the Universe



Watching the Universe
I watch the universe like a hawk
Monitor every country, every move
Stop a terrorist here
A crazed gunman there
And when the world is not looking my way
I protect my young.
Build my nest with thicker twigs
So they won’t fall
Not just yet
Until they learn to fly on their own,
Metaphorically speaking, for they have long flown the nest
I can focus on the rest.
Like a vigipirate I watch over this world
Because if I shift my attention
just a little bit
The world wobbles.
You may laugh at my arrogance
And think I’m a little mad
But it’s true.
I watch the birds fly
Their raucous cry
Mingle with rustling leaves that whisper
I feel the chill in the air
Danger.
I have dropped the ball
And must start all over
Because yesterday I forgot to light
The incense before my shrine
Where dead elders, framed in silver, sit side by side
Spirits locked forever behind glass
And today three men empty cartridges
In a mindless mission
While much closer to home
There are smaller everyday troubles,
Computers crashing, winter blues,
Disappointments and let-downs
Ripples of discontent
Eddies of anger
The world’s angst absorbed into an All Mighty migraine
That rips my brain.
All because I forgot
to ask their blessings
for you and me
And all I love.
One of a million, I watch this world
Every day every minute
I have no particular faith,
I don’t believe in God
I think.
Just a deep belief that I must watch over all.
If I do,
There is a chance
You’ll watch over me too.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yeovil Literary Festival – A Writer’s Point of View.

No Missed Call - A Halloween Special Teaser

Under the Pipal Tree – How the story began