Interview with Hazel Manuel


Book launch of Geranium Woman in Paris




Hazel Manuel is a UK born novelist whose writing follows a career in education, first as a teacher/lecturer and after as a business leader within the education sector. Hazel now lives and writes full-time in Paris.

The Geranium Woman, published by Cinnamon Press is Hazel’s latest novel and is a rare and timely glimpse into boardroom politics as seen through female eyes. Issues of gender, personal autonomy, and corporate responsibility are all explored with a deft yet nuanced touch in this ambitious and thought-provoking tale. The Geranium Woman has been launched in India and Paris and will be launched in the UK at Zestfestin June. Details may be found here: http://thezestlife.co.uk/zest-fest-top-line/

What inspired you to write The Geranium Woman?

The Geranium Woman has been an absorbing and exciting project for me. Before moving to Paris, I worked in the corporate world, sitting on Boards of Directors for many years and heading up two different education business.   I spent those years being a woman in a very male environment and culture. During my corporate years I also came to question whether business could be a force for good in the world, or whether the profit motive would always, inevitably compromise any social responsibility it espoused. I’ve come to feel strongly that if we want to offer our children and grand-children a sustainable, healthy and egalitarian life, it’s imperative that we consider how we operate our businesses and the effects they have on our world. I took as part of the inspiration for The Geranium Woman, Richard Branson’s excellent ‘B Team’ initiative. He advocates moving away from a purely profit driven business ethos towards one based on a trinity of ‘people, planet and profit’ – where we put the natural environment and the people our businesses effect on an equal footing with profit. My hope is that in writing this book, I have contributed in some small way to that shift.  

The title is intriguing.  What does it mean to someone who hasn’t read the book yet?

Ah, I could tell you but I’d have to kill you! Read it and find out!

Set in Paris and Mumbai, your novel shows a great understanding of female leadership in the corporate world and asks whether business can be ethical. How much of it was based on first-hand experience?

There aren’t many novels written about the cut and trust of the business world from a female perspective. I wanted to use my time in the corporate world to explore some of the challenges and highpoints that I experienced. That said, the people and the situations in The Geranium Woman are purely fictitious.


Which genre would Geranium Woman fit into?

I’m never quite sure about that, so I’ve just googled the different genres.  Literary fiction apparently!

Could you give us a brief summary of the plot?

While grieving the death of her father, the Parisian CEO of a corporate events company faces stark choices. Questioning what it means to succeed, she must decide whether to keep trying to build an ethically sound company, in keeping with her values, or appease the shareholders, interested only in profit. Her resolve is tested to the full, not least by Tristan, her board-room nemesis, who has reason to see her fail. Meanwhile, should she continue with either or both of her lovers: dependable confidante Theo-Paul, or Ardash, the exciting but commitment-shy Indian fixer?

Do you empathise with one of your characters in particular?

I think that as writers all the characters we create are different aspects of ourselves.  That said, because the story is about a female CEO, and I was a female CEO, I have a lot of time for the main character. We are very different in some ways though.

I believe Geranium Woman is your second novel. Your elegant debut, Kanyakumari, was set in India. How different are the two in terms of subject and narration?

On the surface they are very different. Kanyakumari is the tale of three women who, while travelling in India, find themselves alone and facing some of their deepest fears and challenges.  The Geranium Woman is about the sophisticated world of Boardroom intrigue. Both novels though, explore issues of uncertainty, loss, obsession, change and fear.

India plays a great part in your novels. What inspires you about this country, which is an eclectic mix of spiritualism and capitalism?

I have a love-hate relationship with India. I’ve been there 5 times now, and have worked and travelled there extensively, from the Himalayas where I trekked in the mountains, sleeping in gypsy huts in the snow, to Kerala and Tamil Nadu in the deep south, where I worked as a journalist, learned about Ashram life and fell in love. And I’ve been to lots of places in between.  I’d been fascinated with the idea of India since I was a child and it still fascinates me today. I find the country complex, frustrating, liberating, exciting and infuriating all at the same time. Perhaps I keep going back to work out my feelings about the place.



What was your writing journey?

My writing began by following my career – when I was a teacher I wrote educational textbooks and resources. During my corporate career I wrote articles for business magazines. I began writing novels following my first trip to India.  I started a writing group and met some good writers who were supportive and positive. When I sent my first novel off to agents, I had a lot of rejections but a lot of good feedback - along the lines of ‘it’s not ready yet but keep going’. Eventually I submitted my first novel to a competition and won which was truly fantastic! I write full time now.

Your book was published by Cinnamon Press. What was your experience of working with an independent press?

Cinnamon Press are great. They publish interesting non-mainstream books and are very supportive.

Have you written or published anything else?

In additional to the textbooks and articles I mentioned, I had a chapter in a Cinnamon Press anthology which was published last year to celebrate their tenth anniversary. The book is called ‘Meet Me There’ and its theme is ‘a sense of place’.  My chapter is called ‘Paris, India and the search for the Big Orange Poetry Flower’. Snappy title, eh?!

What is your advice to writers wanting to write a novel but nervous about starting?  Any writing tips?

You won’t be a writer unless you write.  So if you have a story to tell, don’t make excuses, dive right in and start - the skill to write it well will follow with practice.  Find other writers - join or start a writing group if you aren’t already in one.  Follow your judgement but listen to other peoples’ feedback.  Let your work marinate from time to time – time brings perspective. Don’t be too proud to edit and edit and edit.

Where is your favourite place to write?

I write everywhere, in note-form – I’ve always got a note-pad and a pen with me.  Cafés are great inspiration.  I sometimes write down over-heard conversations. I visit the places I write about and spend plenty of time absorbing them.  The serious work gets done at my desk though. I live in Paris and I’m lucky that my apartment has a great view!


Do you use any writing tools that you could recommend?

I’ve heard that Scrivener is good but I haven’t used it yet. I plan to when I start my next novel. 

What about social media? What should writers be using to their advantage?  Do you find it easy to market your books?

I monitor my book sales and I notice that they spike when I’ve been more active on social media – particularly Twitter.  It’s a skill to develop though.  No one wants to hear about nothing but your novels all the time.  It’s a good idea to choose certain social media and use them really well rather than trying to spread yourselves too thinly with lots. I mainly use Facebook, Twitter and Linked In.  In addition to social media, it’s good to get radio and magazine interviews and to read at festivals, signings and other events. 

Do you have another writing project in mind?

I have two novels on the go which are both at a similar stage. The one I’m primarily working on is called ‘Cliff’ and is a psychologically dark tale of power, vulnerability, obsession and the need for immortality. It's great fun to write!

I wish you all the best for your writing career.

Thank you so much, I’ve enjoyed the interview.

More information about Hazel Manuel and her work can be found here: http://www.hazelmanuel.net/index.html
Interviewed by Anjana Chowdhury


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yeovil Literary Festival – A Writer’s Point of View.

No Missed Call - A Halloween Special Teaser

Under the Pipal Tree – How the story began